Legal requirements on documentation (was: Tech Writing Bloopers)

Subject: Legal requirements on documentation (was: Tech Writing Bloopers)
From: Rahel Anne Bailie <rbailie -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 15:51:20 -0700

While we can chuckle at some of the labels that appear on consumer products, we
need to keep in mind that these seemingly inane statements often appear because
of legal requirements (i.e. not wanting to get sued). The McDonald's apple pie
being labelled "hot" has something to do with being sued by someone who couldn't
figure out that putting steaming hot food in one's mouth could be dangerous.

What I resent as a consumer, and try to address as a tech writer, is the legal
statements that obsfucate the original intent. Working with electrical engineers
has enlightened me to how many directions are not to be trusted because of
less-than-full disclosure. For example, when an electronic household appliance
comes with a warning that the user must use only their particular brand of power
adapter, I now wonder why. (This comes to mind when I've misplaced the original
adapter, someone gives me a piece of equipment that doesn't have an adapter,
etc.) I wonder if the company is trying to sell me an adapter, or because
something dangerous will happen if I use an equal-strength adapter that looks
like it will fit, or did "legal" tell them they had to put the statement in,
just in case? Asking my cube-buddy usually nets me an explanation about what I
can use and how I can get around the situation; how many other consumers are
left in the lurch because they take the instructions literally, as they should
be able to?

Rahel Anne Bailie, Technical Writer, ATMnet Customer Documentation Group
Newbridge Networks Corp (Newbridge West)
400-4190 Still Creek Drive, Burnaby, BC V5C 6C6
*opinions are my own*

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

> For last Christmas, I gave my 2 year old nephew a Playschool childrens toy
> fire house, complete with little people, trucks, and a helicopter. It
> actually said on the box Caution: the helicopter doesn't fly.
>
> In the hands of a healthy and strong 2 year old, wanna bet?
>
> Enough off topic before I get frowned on...

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=