(giggle) Re: Official name for the @ symbol?

Subject: (giggle) Re: Official name for the @ symbol?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:25:08 -0700

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:21:06 -0400, Huber, Mike wrote:

>> Is there an official name for the @ symbol, other than the "at sign"?
>
>Does it matter in our work? For most audiences, calling it anything
>but "at" will just mean one more pointless detail to learn.

Unfortunately, the proliferation of email at the "household" level has
actually added to the confusion by *narrowing* people's idea of that that
symbol is for. I've seen more than one anecdote in such places as Reader's
Digest, of signs being posted for events with such temporal information as
"Thursday @ 7:30PM", and people having email bounced back that they've
sent to "Thursday @ 7:30PM"... seems anymore, someone sees an '@' symbol,
and simply assumes it denotes an email address.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

From where I stand at the crossroads' edge
There's the path leading out to sea
And from somewhere deep in my mind, sirens sing out loud,
Songs of doubt, as only they know how...
But once glance back reminds, and they'll see
Someone else, not me.
- Queensryche, "Someone Else"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=