Re: Standard presentation

Subject: Re: Standard presentation
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:41:36 -0700

The point I'm trying to make with the developer is
this. We're trying to create a "Windows" application
and at some point, we may contact MS to get
authorization to include the Windows logo on the box
and documentation as an authorized Windows
application.

Therefore, have you EVER seen a Windows application
dialog box with [YES] or [NO] WITHOUT a [CANCEL]
button?

For instance...it is standard to create a Windows
dialog box with the standard gray color, blue title
bar, and if it is a warning, the exclaimation point in
a yellow triangle. You never see one any different.

I'm not discussing FUNCTION here. I'm discussing FORM.

Would Microsoft review the application and because we
don't have a [CANCEL] buton on the dialog boxes reject
the application?

> I'd agree with Sean. If having a CANCEL option
> gives a different
> outcome than either YES or NO, then it's needed.
> [E. g., "Have you
> stopped beating your spouse yet?" YES (I've
> stopped); NO (I haven't
> stopped); CANCEL (I refuse to answer that!).] A
> more realistic example
> would be the box that comes up when you close a
> document you've been
> working on: Save DOCUMENT_XYZ before closing? YES
> (Save it, then
> close) NO (Don't save, but close anyway) CANCEL
> (Never mind--forget
> I told you to close!)
>
> On the other hand, if YES and NO cover all possible
> outcomes, there's no
> need for a third option.
>
> SRH
>
> > From: Brierley, Sean [SMTP:Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM]
> >
> > If you can write a purpose for the cancel button
> that is different
> > than the
> > Yes and No buttons, then I'd say you have a case.
> Offhand, I'd say
> > that not
> > all message boxes need a Cancel button and, at
> most, this needs be
> > determined case-by-case.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Please search the TECHWR-L archives before
> posting!
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Find TECHWR-L-related books at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com