Re: Arrogance

Subject: Re: Arrogance
From: John Garison <JGarison -at- IDENTERPRISE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:10:48 -0400

My ex- is a nurse and used to work at Man's Greatest Hospital in Boston.
She rued every July because all the new interns, freshly minted medical
degrees in hand, would come into her ER assuming they knew everything
because they were, after all, at MGH. She said her job for the first
several months (until they got a clue or bought a vowel) was to keep
them from killing their patients and teaching them to listen to the
nurses who, though not as educated, were after all the ones who knew the
most about disease, emergencies, and snotty interns.

I think the parallel is obvious. We know a heck of a lot more about the
entire system than most programmers (they often only care about their
little portion), and we know our users. Lincoln said "War is too
important to leave to the generals." Well, I maintain that system design
is too important to leave to the programmers.

My 2¢ worth.

John Garison
Principal Technical Writer
Integrated Development Enterprise, Inc.