Re: Monster manual--indexing

Subject: Re: Monster manual--indexing
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:12:23 -0400

Maaike Groenewege asked for suggestions to assist her with indexing her
"monster" manual. Karen Spern had two good book suggestions. Another good
book with indexing information is "Read Me First: A Style Guide for the
Computer Industry" by Sun Technical Publications. The chapter on indexing is
concise, but thorough. The rest of the book is top-notch, too, covering lots
of topics of interest to tech writers.

Also, I can't remember if you said you were using Frame to produce your
manual, Maaike. If you are, I highly recommend a tool to help you with your
indexing: IXGen. I don't remember the web site for downloading a trial
version, but you can get to it through www.frameusers.com, in the Power
Tools section. It's a great tool, and Frank Stearns, the creator of it,
provides very good support.

HTH,

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong