Re: Gender-specific pronouns

Subject: Re: Gender-specific pronouns
From: lak <lak -at- NEWPOINTTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:14:29 -0400

Another way to "skirt" the issue is to avoid using 3rd person pronouns
altogether.
I rarely refer to "the User" in instructions - the person who is reading the
material is usually the one who is going to have to do something with it, so
I just use "you."

The result is a total side step of the gender issue, as well as IMHO, a more
dynamic document, that is easier to follow.

But if I have to, I use the clunky "they" or "their" to refer to the user -
not he or she. This alternative seems to be more and more commonly used.

Laurin A. Kinville
Supervisor, Technical Documentation
Newpoint Technologies, Inc.
(formerly C-Grams, Inc.)