Re: HUMOR: Tips of the Day

Subject: Re: HUMOR: Tips of the Day
From: GhostWolf Davidson <ghstwolf -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 12:15:45 +0000

An observation sharing *my own* perspective on one of
the responsibilities of technical writers - and writers
in general.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive - but then again,
maybe not.

Communicators can have far-reaching impact, probably
greater than any of us realize or stop to think about,
and thus - at least in my *personal* opinion - have a
responsibility to think about what we write and the
unspoken examples it may set...

With that said:

> --- "Christy, Annemarie" <AChristy -at- PEACHTREE -dot- COM> wrote:
> > Any suggestions for trends in or usability of those tips that appear at
> > startup of so many programs? I'm about to revamp some.

I do indeed like the unexpected humor that some authors present
in their opening screens... I laughed so hard my sides hurt the
first time I saw a web page that stated

"This page best viewed with your eyes"

So - don't get me wrong; I agree that humor does have a very
important place in writing. However...

> I have some great suggestions for a Tip of the Day program:
>
> - Don't eat hamsters.
> - Ridicule things you don't understand.

Is this not just one of the "practices" that drove the
trenchcoat mafia to their final actions?

> - If your computer locks up, blame the powerless, ugly, or meek.

And this?

> - Put a live chicken in your underware. Go into a closet and suck eggs.
> - Live in a swamp and be three dimensional.

Shaking head - these two are turn-offs to me, completely...

> - The mouse should not be used as a flotation device.

Heh... reminiscent of the "Contest details inside - no purchase
necessary"

> - Armaggedon voids all warranties.

*GRIN*

> - I thought I told you to leave me, when I walked down to the beach. Tell me
> how does it feel, when your heart grows cold.

turn off...

(clip)

Anyways... I figure that's enough for the idea I'm trying
to get across... whether we are aware of it or not, we do
set examples... and yes, satire is an effective tool for
bringing injustices into the light... but it's also been
my experience and observation that satire all too often is
either ignored, or goes right over the heads of the intended
audience...

Just my $0.02 worth.

GhostWolf

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=