Etymological origins of the word 'niggardly'

Subject: Etymological origins of the word 'niggardly'
From: Tim Wilson <twilson -at- COMTECH -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:34:42 +1000

I would like to point out that the word 'niggardly' does not have (and has never
had) the connotations Jamela Jasper ascribes to it.

The word means 'stingy or parsimonious' and is scandinavian in origin.

If you don't believe me, check your dictionaries.

So Pamela ... if you hear the word in future, please try to remain calm - it is
not a racial slur.

Tim Wilson
Technical Writer
Com Tech Communications
Melbourne, Australia

This email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=