Re: On-line documentation vs Hard copy

Subject: Re: On-line documentation vs Hard copy
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:28:42 +0100

We are currently going down this road - very slowly! The initial push was to
reduce costs (not the best starting point) and our initial move has been to
supply the manuals "as is" but in pdf format with navigation links added. This
is not the most satisfactory solution but is, we hope, the first step in moving
"properly" online. The one advantage of pdf is that the customer can print them
out if they want to and they look just as the hard copy manuals do.

Before moving to the next stage we are investigation exactly what the customer
wants - initial feedback is mixed with a lot of people pro manuals, even those
who are also keen on having online docs with easy navigation, full search
facilities etc. Personally I feel that it is going to take quite a while before
we complete the migration fully simply because we have such a wide breadth of
end users from the PC whizzes to those virtually PC illiterate.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=