Did ya ever wonder??

Subject: Did ya ever wonder??
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 12:45:19 -0700

This message may strike a cord with most contractors,
but it is the people that hire contractors that I hope
will read the post. And if you are a contractor that
does not have this problem, more power to you.

I'm on my, oh, I don't know...maybe 6th or 7th
contract. Without fail, I'm given the most obsolete
computer in the department.

OK, I can understand how it is thought that since I'm
only around for a limited amount of time, why "waste"
a perfectly good 300-400 mhz Pentium II with 64 or
128mb RAM when there are several extra 90, 100, or 133
mhz Pentiums with 16 or 32mb.

No problem yet. However, when you thnk about the
conditions under which a contractor is brought
in...tight deadline, finite-length contract, complex
processes to be documented, buggy unoptimized alpha
version apps, high cost overhead, etc., does it make
sense?

Just a word to the people hiring contractors...make
sure the equipment is on par with the conditions that
you expect contractors to work under...a dollar saved
on the front end may not end up saving you money in
the long run.

===
John Posada
Western Union International