STC Annual Conference

Subject: STC Annual Conference
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- POP -dot- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 06:59:21 -0500

Is anyone going to the STC Annual Conference in Cincinnati for the first
time? I am, and although I've heard many things about it in the past, I'd
like to hear from old-timers as well as first-timers.

For example, I'd like pointers on how to choose which workshops to attend,
etc. I'm a technical writer, translator, and teacher of technical writing.
Which are the workshop formats "not to be missed"? What other events, etc. I
really should not miss? Do you need to bring a suit and tie or is the whole
thing informal? What are the networking luncheons like? I'm counting a lot
on networking. How important are business cards? I'll have plenty.

Are meals "buffet" style or "menu" style? I'm a strict vegetarian, and I
need to think of these things. Also, being handicapped (walking with two
canes...), it's a bit harder for me to deal with a buffet.

I guess what I'm looking for is the "feeling" of attending one of these
monster conferences. I've been trying to attend one of them for ten years
now. I came mighty close with the one held in Dallas many years ago. But
this time, I'M GOING.

What are evenings like? I registered for a tour of Historic Lebanon, but due
to lack of people, it was cancelled. Bummer! So, what else is there to do in
the evenings (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg)?

TIA,:-)

Fabien Vais
Fabien Vais - Documentation Analyst
Technical Writing, Technical Translation/Globalization, Editing, Publishing,
Teaching, Training

e-mail: phantoms -at- total -dot- net
Mailing address: 38 Elderidge, Montreal, Quebec, H9A 2P4
Phone/Fax: (514) 685-4752

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=