Re: Subject: RE: Did ya ever wonder??

Subject: Re: Subject: RE: Did ya ever wonder??
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:16:51 -0700

> Do you ever notice how other tech writers are
> treated in the organization? I
> may (and should) get a better computer than a
> contractor (after all, I have

Why "should" you? Is it automatic that only an
employee, by simply being an employee, has the "right"
to equipment that will do the task assigned to them?
Why not base it on the criticality/visibility/urgency
of the project.

Besides...I don't want equipment "better" than anyone
else, just on par..or even close to par. I'm
surrounded by 5 employees at my assignment. Their
standard issue equipment is 333PII/64/6.4. I'm using
a 150/32/1.6. I don't want a 400 (well, sure I do, and
I do have one at home, but I'm not trying to get it in
this situation), just comparable.

Aside from that, and I don't want to get into money,
but...say a task takes 20% longer to do each day
because of underperforming equipment.

Let's say that the project should take 160 hours to
complete on equipment that keeps up to the task.

Now, on the slower equipment, instead of taking 160
hours, it takes 192 hours. However, the employee is
paid for only 160 of those hours where the contractor
is paid the full 192 hours.

Let's say that the contractor is costing a *total*
cost (not only paid to the contractor) to the company
of $85 per hour. That 32 extra hours is costing them
$2,720. For that difference, they've more than bought
and paid for the current hardware in less than a
month.

Granted, this is quick-and-dirty math and YMMV, but if
a company is truly looking at costs and not just
percieved costs, the math makes a case for it, no?

> deadlines too), but both of us will have to wait in
> line behind R&D, QA, the
> executive staff, etc. to get anything better.

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com