Re: MS Word 97-98 problems

Subject: Re: MS Word 97-98 problems
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 10:31:45 -0700

MAGGIE SECARA wrote:

> I have the page printed out and posted over my desk, because for some reason
> I can't get this one to stick in my mind :) It is
>
> Field Codes: RD (Referenced Document) field.
>
> The directions are about as oblique as Word help gets, but it does the
> trick.

The RD field always worked for me, too.

As I recall, we set up a "book file" that looked something like this:

Title page
------------------section break------------------
Copyright page
------------------section break------------------
...any other front matter...
------------------section break------------------
{ TOC \o }
------------------section break------------------
{ RD preface.doc }
------------------section break------------------
{ RD chap01.doc }
------------------section break------------------
{ RD chap02.doc }
------------------section break------------------
...any other chapters and appendices...
------------------section break------------------
{ INDEX \c 2 \h "A" }

Putting the section breaks in the "book file" (rather than the individual chapter files) gave us the greatest success over page number continuity, header and footer content, and other section-related features.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

Try HTML Indexer, the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=