Re: Lists of Seven

Subject: Re: Lists of Seven
From: "Nagai, Paul" <pnagai -at- VISA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:11:42 -0700

> Dick Margulis wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've tried. Really I have. But please, can someone point me to the
> > recent discussion (or a reference of some sort) concerning the fallacy
> > that one must never ever have more than seven items in a list? Someone
> > trotted out this chestnut in a meeting today and I promised to dig out
> > authoritative information to the contrary. Help? Thanks in advance.

Here is the original research on short term memory:
http://www.well.com/user/smalin/miller.html

Please remember that short term memory has a very specific definition with
respect to this research. This research alone is of very little use to
technical communicators, except hueristically.

Here is some actual research that applies:
http://www.research.microsoft.com/users/marycz/chi981.htm

Best of all, it has a list of references (none online).

------
Paul Nagai

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=