Re: Radio or Radial buttons?

Subject: Re: Radio or Radial buttons?
From: Susan Self <susans -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 12:12:31 -0800

The "radio button" term is used explicitly in the X Windows/Motif world
when you are describing a Motif-based interface running on UNIX.
Also, instead of flat check boxes, you have three-dimensional "toggle
buttons" that toggle on or off (pressed in or pushed out) when you click on
You can have any number of toggle buttons "set" or pressed in but only
one radio button "set" at a time, just as on a car radio.

Susan Self
Senior Technical Writer
QUALCOMM Incorporated
San Diego, CA

>Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 19:33:13 +0200
>From: Bob Gembey <bob -at- SUPERNOVA -dot- NL>
>Subject: Re: Radio or Radial buttons?
>MIME-Version: 1.0
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>It's definitely a RADIO button. They are named after the buttons on
>(older) car radios -- you push one in, and the others go out. Maybe you
>should check the Apple site or the Xerox Palo Alto site -- I think the term
>originated there (I first encountered them in the Apple Macintosh when
>Windows was just a twinkle in Bill Gates' eye).
><<What do you call the little round circles which you click on to make a
>in a dialog box? I have always heard them called radial buttons. One of my
>developers marked it as "radio" instead and, after doing some research, I
>have found out there really is such a thing. Are either of these standard
>terms? Is there a difference?>>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Extending the help application model
Next by Author: Re: Dreamweaver Question
Previous by Thread: Re: Radio or Radial buttons?
Next by Thread: Can you make the manuals obsolete?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads