Need Advice: What to use for on-line help

Subject: Need Advice: What to use for on-line help
From: Tracey Rowe <Tracey -at- TELEMEDIA -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:14:50 +1200

Hello

I have just landed a new full time position which involves some
technical writing for the software developers. Writing for paper is not
a problem and I can do this with my eyes closed. However, I have now
offered to produce on-line help for them also.

My question:
What is the best software to do this? What things should I be asking
the development team?

I have been watching talk of Frame, Robohelp, SQML, HTML and the likes
and really don't (or should I say do not) know which I should be using.
I have mocked up a sample for them using the Help Workshop that comes
with the Microsoft C++ developers kit. This took a day to work out how
to use it - but I just know that there has to be a better way.

In case it is important, I use Word 97 on NT4. They want to be able to
provide on-line help and context sensitive help as part of the GUI.

TIA

Tracey Rowe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=