Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals

Subject: Re: Using Contractions in Software Manuals
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:10:52 -0400

I use contractions lightly in manuals. My choice varies with my
desired emphasis and tone. For example, if I am describing
something fairly obvious (to cover those who don't find it obvious),
and with small effects, I will probably use a contraction, as in:

You can't type beyond the length of the field. The system will
beep and freeze until you press the "Alt" key.

On the other hand, if I am trying to emphasize something that is
less obvious, and with larger effects, I will not use a contraction, as
in:

Do not enter a part in the purchased part file, unless you do not
plan to manufacture it. You cannot copy parts from the purchased
part file to the manufactured part file.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280