How Does one Start Contracting?

Subject: How Does one Start Contracting?
From: Gina Hertel <Ghertel -at- ALPHA88 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:07:04 -0400

Title: How Does one Start Contracting?

I have a few questions about contracting that I was hoping some of you experienced contractors could answer.

  1. What is the difference between a 1099 and a W2?
  2. What is the name of the form that one must fill out when he/she works as a contractor?
  3. How is this form obtained?
  4. How is this form used?
  5. What do I need to take care of "up front" before I accept a contract assignment?
  6. Are there any other legal issues I should know about that have to do with contracting?
  7. Are there any issues I need to know about to ensure I get paid for my work as a contractor?
  8. If you had to list the steps you engage in before starting a contract assignment what would they be?

Gina Hertel