is it possible to single-source online & print and author in HTML ?

Subject: is it possible to single-source online & print and author in HTML ?
From: Jennifer Gregory <jgregory -at- GANYMEDE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 16:56:13 -0400

Yes!! We've been doing it successfully (more or less) for about a year
using a tool called HTML Transit from InfoAccess (www.infoaccess.com). We
maintain all of our source files in Word (we have each chapter in a separate
doc file because this works better with HTML). We make all text changes to
these files.

To create the online HTML from the word document, we use HTML Transit.
Transit lets you set up a project and pick a variety of options that let you
customize the HTML. We have frames and navigation buttons that are used in
all the HTML files and we only have to select that we want these options in
Transit. Transit also lets you select how you want the styles set in your
source document handled in online. Transit lets you do a fair amount of
customization. Transit also automatically generates an index for the
project based on the index entries that you put in Word. You can also
create a TOC by specifying which heading levels you want included in the
TOC. To create the hardcopy document, we use a master document in Word to
pull in all of the separate chapters.

The process has had relatively few snags and has saved us a lot of work.
We do no post processing on the HTML files after Transit does it's magic, so
this is completely single sourced.

Hope this helps.
Jennifer Goforth Gregory

Jgregory -at- ganymede -dot- com