Resume too long?

Subject: Resume too long?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 13:43:46 -0400

Stephen McDermott reports <<I've gotten to the point in my
career as a contract technical writer that I cannot list all of my
experience on a two page resume. I have had a lot of short
term contracts where the experience and exposure I gained
are too valuable to leave out.>>

[On the assumption that this is a North American request,
rather than European:] It sounds to me like you're expecting
potential clients or personnel departments to wade through far
too much detailed information. Summarize, abstract, and fit it
all on two pages, with proper design (i.e., as much white
space as you can effectively incorporate, and large fonts to
make it easy to read). Then make the details available "on
request" or provide them on a separate enclosure that
_accompanies_ your resume, but that doesn't take its place.
Remember, a resume is literally a "summary"; you may be
thinking of a curriculum vitae, which is much more of an
"everything I've ever done" document.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?"--Anon. (possibly Richard Lederer
)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=