Re: Decimal point alignment in HTML Tables

Subject: Re: Decimal point alignment in HTML Tables
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- SYSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:38:43 -0700

<<Other than putting all the numbers hard left or hard right, is
there a way to
> align entries in a column of table cells by their decimal points in HTML?
> That is, if I have a column containing individual cells of 3.00, 200.00
> and
> 70.00, with a total cell at the bottom of 273.00, can I make it look nice
> and
> tidy?>>

Theoretically, yes. There are two attributes (char, charoff) that
you can use with TD and TR to specify a character that the text will be
aligned on, e.g., a period, and to specify an offset to the character.
However, these attributes are new in HTML 4 and I don't know if any of the
browsers support them yet.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer