Images in PDF

Subject: Images in PDF
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:09:02 -0400

As I use Distiller, I don't know whether you can get good PDF
images in PDF Writer.

Here are my suggestions:

- You don't necessarily need an expensive screen capture
utility/graphics program. I use the free PrintKey utility from
http://www.geocities.com/~gigaman/ and set the number of colours
for the screen capture to the fewest needed.

- For the postscript driver, use the best you can get for your
platform. I use the Xerox Docutech on the default settings.

- For distiller settings, (as noted in other messages), choose a
non-lossy compression, such as ZIP or CCIT.

- For the Acrobat Reader, 4.0 gives the best on-screen
presentation (I haven't tested printing). If you need Reader 3 with
Search, make sure that you have the most recent version, which
fixes some problems with printing to non-postscript printers. I use
the most recent Reader 3 with Search and print to a non-postscript
laser printer with beautiful results.

- Michele

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=