Re: Interview from Hell

Subject: Re: Interview from Hell
From: Cheryle W <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:35:40 PDT

Sonja said:

Okay, if we are talking about nightmare interviews...

This is a great thread, and I can't help adding my own "nightmare interview"
story.

I saw a job posting on a local software company's web site that
I was perfect for, or so I thought. Every qualification they listed, I had.
I was called in to interview on a Monday, and the guy who was supposed to
interview me was late, and a bit flustered. Okay, I thought, everyone has
those days. I showed him examples from my portfolio, and he seemed genuinely
impressed. We had what I thought was a great interview -- he even showed me
around the office and asked me what my availability was for a second
interview later in the week. He said "let's shoot for Wednesday, but I will
call you today to confirm." He never called, so I sent a polite e-mail on
Tuesday asking him if we were "on" for Wednesday. He wrote back that
Wednesday was no good, but to "stay tuned." I followed up with a "thank you"
e-mail, reiterating some of the main points of the interview and explaining
further why I was a good candidate for the position. Never heard anything.

I e-mailed him or left a voice mail once a week, for three weeks,
just letting him know I was still "interested" in the position.
Meanwhile, the job posting was still on the Internet site.

The guy seemed *so* positive about my qualifications, even so far as to
practically guarantee a second interview, so I was completely puzzled by his
complete lack of response. I had a friend of mine email and casually ask if
the position was still open, and it was.

To this day I have no idea what went wrong. All the guy had to
do was send a quick reply, or leave me a voice message stating that
they had found a more suitable candidate for the position.
Common courtesy? I will never send my resume to this company again, nor will
I recommend that any friends or colleagues do so.

Cheryle

P.S.: I found a much better position several months later with another
company. :)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=