TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:JOB -- SEATTLE: great opportunity, FT-perm From:Julie Selman <jselman -at- TEGIC -dot- COM> Date:Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:22:15 -0700
End User Publications Specialist (FT-PERM):
This position will author or co-author end-user documentation as specified
by project needs. As a member of the marketing department and multiple
product development teams, primary responsibility will be to collect product
functionality information from project managers, product managers, software
developers, testers, as well as product support personnel and transfers
development knowledge/expertise to end-user publications and electronic
media. Responsibilities include writing, maintaining, editing, and/or
reviewing project deliverables such user manuals, online tutorials,
installation guides, website media, and other end-user related deliverables
as assigned. May coordinate localization resources in the translation of
end-user publications and online documentation.
* BA/BS preferred in Journalism, English, Communications, Technical Writing,
or General studies
* Minimum of 5 years experience in end-user publications/technical writing,
preferably for software products in the consumer electronic industry.
* Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Applications, PageMaker, Acrobat
(PDF), online help utilities, and web authoring tools.
* Demonstrated ability to identify and proactively interact with
contributors, communicate effectively with developers, and complete expected
deliverables within specified time deadlines, with minimum supervision and
* Coordinate review of authored/edited documents and respond proactively to
editorial and reviewer feedback.
* Must have ability to frequently reset own priorities and develop
contingency plans based on frequently changing needs and demands of fast
paced environment involving small, multiple projects.
* Proven ability to grasp technical concepts and translate into user
friendly terminology via written or electronic format.
* Experience in authoring, reviewing, and editing of website content in HTML
* Review all documentation checking grammar, punctuation, and overall
format, spelling, and consistency. Ensure that documentation is produced to
Tegic style and format standards.
* Develop, maintain, and use standard templates in creating deliverables.
* Recommend development tools and contribute to future approaches for
creating, deploying, and maintaining end-user documentation.
Please submit resumes to: jobs -at- tegic -dot- com
(206) 343-7001 ext. 118
"The measure of success is not whether you
have a tough problem to deal with, but
whether it's the same problem you had last
year." -John Foster Dulles