Re: Interview Etiquette

Subject: Re: Interview Etiquette
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:17:07 -0600

I've always been ambivalent about sending thank you cards for interviews. On
the one hand, I was taught that a thank you card in such a situation is basic
good manners. On the other hand, I want to be evaluated for my skills, not
because I buttered somebody up with a thank you card.

I have to disagree with David Locke. If I send a thank you card, the primary
purpose is to acknowledge my appreciation of the time and consideration someone
has extended--regardless whether they are 'just doing their job'. I resent
thank you cards in which someone tries to sell me on their skills or persuade me
to do a task, etc. To my way of thinking, they've just voided out the thank you
by showing their ulterior motive.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=