Get a job

Subject: Get a job
From: Sarah Lawrence <lawrence -dot- s -at- UCLES -dot- ORG -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 15:24:01 +0100

I should think that quite a few people are getting fed up with this whole
interview technique/getting a job debate, but I find it interesting because
I'm trying to get into technical authoring. I've spent some time talking to
people already in the industry to find out more about the field (and to make
sure that it really is the sort of thing that I want to do) but I've been
getting some conflicting advice.

Some people say I should just go for it, what can I lose? And that I'm sure
to find an area where my current skills will be useful and where I can
develop new ones. (I like those people.)

Other people tell me that I'm mad, and that I need to do some kind of
course/learn how to programme etc before even thinking of trying to get a
tech writing job.

What does everyone else think? Should I stop plutzing, sort out my life (and
my cv) and start looking, or am I actually insane to even be trying? Please
reply off list - I'll summarise if anything of general interest turns up.

(To give you a very brief background - at the moment I'm an Editorial
Assistant working for an Examinations Board. I help to produce publicity
materials - newsletters, information leaflets, adverts etc - and I've just
started to take responsibility for a section of the website and organise
translations. Oh, and I've got an English degree...)

Sarah Lawrence
lawrence -dot- s -at- ucles -dot- org -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000