Re; Punctuation Tips

Subject: Re; Punctuation Tips
From: Tom Mereen <tom -dot- mereen -at- ECTI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:42:08 -0500

Tom Johnson wrote:
"You seem to presume that all tech writers are from the US. Consequently, I think an industry-standard styleguide is a terrible idea. Since most tech writers do reside in the US, it would no doubt use US-based spelling and punctuation . . ."

I Disagree.

When I work for an aviation company, they were part of an international team that developed a "Simplified English and Style Guide". This document covered English usage and documentation styles to comply with ATA-100 and ATA-101 aviation specifications. I believe representatives were from Canada, England, France, Italy, Japan, and the US. (Probably others that I missed.)

Of course, how often do you see the major players within an industry get together to develop such a style guide?

Tom

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000