Re: Grading writers?

Subject: Re: Grading writers?
From: Melissa Morgan <mmorgan -at- INTREPID -dot- CDG-HARGRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:20:59 -0500

Our department does not have grades, but
this has been an ongoing issue. The reasoning
that we were given was, "We're trying to keep
a flat organization." This seems to be a trend
with many corporations, and I understand the
pros and cons of moving toward the flat model.

On one hand, it keeps the slackers from
obtaining higher titles just because they know
how to 'smooch' the bottoms of the higher ups.
On the other hand, it doesn't give the hard
worker a whole lot to strive for, and creates
a "Why should I bust my behind and really shine
if I'm always going to be just a tech writer?" kind
of attitude.

I think if there were specific criteria for each
category, as well as a specific pay scale for
each, then the grading system would be
useful. Just my 2 pennies, though.

Melissa Morgan
mmorgan -at- intrepid -dot- cdg-hargray -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=