resume: making up for no degree

Subject: resume: making up for no degree
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- OEE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 07:52:43 -0400

My degree (graphic arts) works well for the industry
I currently work in, but it's not a Technical Writing
or even English degree, which seems to be a
requirement in every TW job ad.

Since I got into tech writing 10 years ago, I've tried to
learn as much as I can about it, to constantly improve,
in every way--except a return to college. I go to seminars
and workshops; belong to STC & diligently read Intercom
& the Journal; buy (& read) books on tech writing &
related subjects; subscribe to magazines, both print &
online; search the web for information; and joined
this list.

Is it possible, in a resume, to communicate this active
effort to improve (and overcome the lack of a degree
in this field) or is this something that should be left
for an interview? Or is it all totally irrelevant as far
as a potential employer is concerned?

I realize my efforts to learn don't necessarily say anything
about my ability to do the job. Some recent posts from
listers who hire mentioned looking for people who were
willing to learn, so I wonder how you communicate that
when looking for a new job.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=