Re: Making up for lack of a degree?

Subject: Re: Making up for lack of a degree?
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:27:49 -0700

Either Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote, or he
was quoting Jessica N. Lange = my email utility got
confused =

"Since I got into tech writing 10 years ago, ... "

while commenting on degree TYPES vs degree DEMANDS
(specifically BFA vs. BA-English et al*), I began to
ponder, OF WHAT VALUE IS A 10-YEAR-OLD DEGREE? No, I
am not denigrating the degree, simply questioning its
value in a rapidly changing world. Technological
changes impact the way we work. English is a viable,
dynamic language subject to change - new words are
added, different definitions are applied to existing
words, grammar is modified ... (got'ta stop here; the
blood pressure is sky rocketing). The bottom line is:
many of the things we learned 10 (or more) years ago
are passe'; history, even. Keeping current is the key
- STC membership is good for some, reading
trade/profession-related material is good,
PARTICIPATING (means I/O, not just O) on this and
similar lists is (very) good ... prospective employers
looking for someone OTHER THAN a junior/beginning
writer are well advised to give a diploma on the wall
the value it deserves ... a piece of paper
(especically if "continuing education" as defined
above has been ignored). Parting shot: If an employer
insists on a degree, maybe the employer also should
insist on seeing a transcript ... I know several
people flying under false colors simply because no one
checked their credentials.

et al = etc. with an attitude ;-]

===
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=