Re: Making up for lack of a degree?

Subject: Re: Making up for lack of a degree?
From: Jonathan Soukup <jsoukup -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 15:08:42 -0500

I'll put aside my personal discomfort and any knowledge concerns while
addressing "of what value is a 10-year-old degree." Earning my bachelor's
degree taught me about leadership, self-reliance, determination, honor,
respect and botherhood. It showed me how much I could accomplish when I put
my mind to it. It made me proud of who I am and what I can do.

I think we should be careful when we make statements like "of what value is
a 10-year-old degree." IMHO It not only cheapens the value of formal
education, but makes technical communication seem less professional.

Thanks,
Jonathan Soukup
----------
> From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: Making up for lack of a degree?
> Date: Friday, June 04, 1999 8:27 AM
>
> Either Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA> wrote, or he
> was quoting Jessica N. Lange = my email utility got
> confused =
>
> "Since I got into tech writing 10 years ago, ... "
>
> while commenting on degree TYPES vs degree DEMANDS
> (specifically BFA vs. BA-English et al*), I began to
> ponder, OF WHAT VALUE IS A 10-YEAR-OLD DEGREE? No, I
> am not denigrating the degree, simply questioning its
> value in a rapidly changing world. Technological
> changes impact the way we work. English is a viable,
> dynamic language subject to change - new words are
> added, different definitions are applied to existing
> words, grammar is modified ... (got'ta stop here; the
> blood pressure is sky rocketing). The bottom line is:
> many of the things we learned 10 (or more) years ago
> are passe'; history, even. Keeping current is the key
> - STC membership is good for some, reading
> trade/profession-related material is good,
> PARTICIPATING (means I/O, not just O) on this and
> similar lists is (very) good ... prospective employers
> looking for someone OTHER THAN a junior/beginning
> writer are well advised to give a diploma on the wall
> the value it deserves ... a piece of paper
> (especically if "continuing education" as defined
> above has been ignored). Parting shot: If an employer
> insists on a degree, maybe the employer also should
> insist on seeing a transcript ... I know several
> people flying under false colors simply because no one
> checked their credentials.
>
> et al = etc. with an attitude ;-]
>

> ===
> Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
> ''Despise not any person and do not deem anything unworthy
> of consideration, for there is no person without his hour,
> and no thing without its place'' {Ben Azzai [Avot 4:2]}

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=