Varieties of 'English'

Subject: Varieties of 'English'
From: Peter Jones <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:38:41 +0100

Folks,

There has been some debate about the English Language. It would be very
helpful to me to know how the English speaking world is divided. That is
to say what proportion speak American English, Indian English etc.

Does any one know of a resource that lists the number of people speaking
different languages and the specific variant they speak. I suspect that
those living in India make up the single largest English language block
(officially) -- where can I find out?

This knowledge must be essential to document localization and is (yet
another) hole in my education.
--
Peter Jones

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=