Menu Options

Subject: Menu Options
From: Letty Smith <lsmith -at- CTILIMITED -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:49:27 -0500

Enquiring minds want to know...

Here's a question that has been raised in our department - what's the best
way to describe in writing to the user that they should select a particular
menu and option? We try to use a graphic when possible, but sometimes it
isn't possible, or doesn't fit in the documentation. So ... which is
better:

1. Select the File -> Save As... menu option.

2. Select the File - Save As... menu option. (n-dash)

3. Select the File -- Save As... menu option (m-dash)

4. Select the File > Save As... menu option.

5. Some other way?

Does it make a difference if it is a three-deep menu option? (i.e. Select
the File -> Save As ... -> Keenfile Graphic menu option.)

Letty Smith
Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=