[no subject]

From: "Olive, Eric" <EOlive -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:55:38 -0500

In my experience, the following syntax works well:

1. Choose File>Save As.
2. Select Rich Text Format *RTF in the Save As File Type combo box (I
believe "combo box" is technically the correct term though many writers use
drop down list).

Using the term "Choose" for menu options clearly distinguishes menus from
combo boxes and list boxes where users must literally "select" an item. You
probably don't' need to follow your instruction with menu option because the
vast majority of users know how to use Windows menus.

Eric O.
Compuware Corporation

--------------------------------
Letty Smith asked:

Here's a question that has been raised in our department - what's the best
way to describe in writing to the user that they should select a particular
menu and option? We try to use a graphic when possible, but sometimes it
isn't possible, or doesn't fit in the documentation. So ... which is
better:

1. Select the File -> Save As... menu option.

2. Select the File - Save As... menu option. (n-dash)

3. Select the File -- Save As... menu option (m-dash)

4. Select the File > Save As... menu option.

5. Some other way?

Does it make a difference if it is a three-deep menu option? (i.e. Select
the File -> Save As ... -> Keenfile Graphic menu option.)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=