Re: What do you put in figure captions

Subject: Re: What do you put in figure captions
From: Laurie Morgan <ldmorgan -at- NORTELNETWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:22:01 -0400

I usually try to indicate the window context in the figure title such as

"Adding a new customer using the XXX window"

"Modifying customer data using the XXX window"

"Locating an existing customer using the XXX window"

This way the Figures List provides some description of what content is shown
in the screen shot, so if the user is looking for a example of something,
its easier to find. And this approach also satisfies those who need to have
the window name included in each figure title.

Cheers
Laurie Morgan
Nortel Networks
Winnipeg, Manitoba

This way the reader can tell how the window fits into the specific procedure

John Posada wrote:

"Due to poor software design, the titles of the windows
in the application are not descriptive of the
contents. The same type of windows with different
contents will have the same name in the title bar.
BTW...this is why I have so many screen shots. It is
hard to mention a window in the text without a picture
when the contents is different and the person reading
the instructions might think of one window when the
software is displaying another."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=