Re: ReadMe files - Format?

Subject: Re: ReadMe files - Format?
From: Lydia Wong <lydiaw -at- FPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:25:38 -0400

> > Q: We develop software for the Windows environment. I'm wondering what
> > format people put their release notes in?
> >
> [snip]
>
> > Management,
> > understandably, is not willing to do away with the text format quite
yet.
> > Have others changed completely to html? Have it been considered?

We switched last year to providing little Windows help files (RTF-based) for
our Read Me's. Before that, we used the .WRI format that Scott McClare
mentioned. That became a little cumbersome, though, due to dealing with the
converters to go back and forth from Word to .WRI. Also, we found ourselves
providing more and more .WRI files with last minute information or to
fulfill various purposes. Now, all those files are combined into a tidy
README.HLP file that goes out with the product.

HTH,

Lydia
Lydia Wong
Technical Writer