Re: Visual Source Safe

Subject: Re: Visual Source Safe
From: "Halter, Meg" <HalterMC -at- NAVAIR -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:49:07 -0700

Hi Barbara --

Help files
> is a batch file that does one help after the other. This file
varies with
> the private-label and I store it in VSS, also.

> And a question for you: How do you use macros to create your
multi-versions
> of documentation? I have dreamed up my approach in a vacuum. It
works, but
> I'm always interested in how others do the same thing. Do other
listers have
> pet tricks to handle this complicated requirement?

Your solution sounds like a good one for Word documents, but I don't
think it would work for me because my solution must also include the
different versions of the application and source code that go to different
customers. In my original message, I mentioned only the part of the task
that deals with documentation. Since we're just starting on the phase of the
product that requires different versions for different customers, I haven't
come up with a way to automate the whole business. Right now the talk in the
group is to do it by hand every time, but I hate that idea because it would
be alot of repetitive work going on indefinitely and would be a huge
opportunity for mistakes.

In my comment about macros and VSS, I'd been thinking that an ideal
solution would be if VSS allowed me to use a macro as part of the checkout
or get commands. To illustrate what I have in mind: When getting a version
for customer A, the macro would select files 1,3,5 and 7. For customer B, it
would pull out files 1, 2, 5 and 9. And customer C would get 1, 4, 7 and 9.

Does that make any sense? As I read this over, it doesn't seem very
clear. *Sigh*

-- Meg

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=