Re: nice way to word a nasty warning

Subject: Re: nice way to word a nasty warning
From: Rebecca Merck <Rebecca -dot- Merck -at- ONESOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:27:44 -0400

Okay, here was my take -- I used to manage a help desk, so I feel your pain.
:)

And I just saw the exchange between you and Kathleen, and yes, I agree --
it's more likely that you'll have difficulty and make errors because you
know nothing about what else they have loaded and what it did.

Here's my stab at how I would try to phrase it:

Your computer has been set up with a standard configuration, to aid in our
ability to identify and resolve system problem. Loading non-standard
applications (in particular downloaded games, shareware applications, and
screensavers from the Internet) greatly complicates our ability to resolve
technical issues. Your cooperation in maintaining your standard
configuration will assure you prompt and efficient support. Those with
non-standard configurations can expect longer resolution times and may
receive a lower call priority if the problem appears to be caused by
non-standard applications loaded by the user.

And wouldn't it be nice to be able to say that repeated support calls from
the same user who persists in loading non-standard applications will be
logged and reported? Or that they will be required to remove any
non-standard apps in order to resolve the call? And it'd be nice to be able
to "synch" their machine with the standard configuration when necessary.

Good luck, Lisa!

-Rebecca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=