Re: PaintShop Pro5 vs. Photoshop???

Subject: Re: PaintShop Pro5 vs. Photoshop???
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:42:25 -0500

Howdy,

I just spent 45 minutes doing something in Paint Shop Pro which would
have taken 5 in Photoshop. It all depends on what you want to use the
tool for.

For its price, PSP is a great little program: it converts almost every
graphic
format to any other, the Browse feature is wonderful, it is great for basic
web graphics and takes wonderful screenshots. However, it just does not
have the power and precision of PhotoShop.

Paint Shop Pro will work for most basic applications. If you are creating
a 4-color brochure with complicated graphics, I would not use it. If you
are doing professional level photo retouching, you are asking little PSP
to stretch far beyond its reach. And there is NO WAY PSP comes near
the design power of PhotoShop.

So, I agree with Andrew (should I admit to that?): if you are just touching
up a few web graphics and taking screen shots, definately get PSP. If
you are looking a professional design, get PhotoShop. Personally, I usually
ask for both (PSP can do some things PhotoShop cannot).

Just my experience.

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer
CPD Marketing