Re: US style in... Eastern Europe and the CIS

Subject: Re: US style in... Eastern Europe and the CIS
From: Yevgeniy Borodkin <zhenya68 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:28:25 -0700

Hello,

I may have missed most of the discussion, but I felt
tempted to contribute anyway, even though my example
is not quite "European."

In the part of the world I come from (Russia), people
don't seem to differentiate between British and
American English. The simple goal is to be able to
communicate. Professionals are aware of the
differences, but you still cannot read anything
distinctly "British" or "American." As a result, you
frequently see Russian punctuation in an English text.
Generally, American concept of style doesn't apply to
what one can call "technical writing" in Russia and
what's known as CIS.

Has anybody written anything for the former USSR or
Eastern Europe? If so, did you encounter any specific
difficulties?

Yevgeniy Borodkin

===
Yevgeniy Borodkin
Address: Department of English, East Hall,
Bowling Green State University,
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, USA
E-mail: zhenya68 -at- yahoo -dot- com, borod -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=