Re: Expensive punctuation

Subject: Re: Expensive punctuation
From: Pia Teir <PTe -at- CITEC -dot- FI>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:39:53 +0300

Comma is definitely used to mark decimal point. This goes for (at least)
Sweden,
Norway, Denmark, Finland. And it _is_ universal and consistent within
these
countries.

The problem comes when writing in a foreign (english) language in these
countries: should we exchange all commas to points => requires some
extra effort
in both time and money. In body text the exchange comes naturally, but
what when
you have a table with a heading row and then only numbers...?

I have seen some international corporations use point for decimal
character,
just to avoid the find-and-replace when translating the
documents/brocures/...
into english.

Regards,
pia