Re: Dropdown menu on a button

Subject: Re: Dropdown menu on a button
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OMEGARESEARCH -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:37:43 -0400

Boy, do I wish I agreed with you, Tom! It would certainly make life easier
for me. You must be writing for a select audience. It seems to me we have
more computer novices than ever buying our product... I won't even mention
your comments to our Technical Support Department!

Actually, to be fair, it depends on your market (audience), but I couldn't
help responding; your comment tells me your work life must be much different
from mine (btw, we produce high-level investment analysis software for
individual full-time traders).

Lane Pasut
User Education
Omega Research, Inc.

From: Tom Johnson [mailto:johnsont -at- STARCUTTER -dot- COM]

<snip>

My question is, do we have to be so careful to explain the
intricacies of
the interface these days? There are fewer and fewer novices
these days. I
don't think there is anyone who doesn't know somebody who
could teach them
the basics. Although, there was an ad in our local
classifieds where
someone was looking for some help to use an Apple II. :) It
must have been
a garage sale special. Can you still buy software for those?

Back to my question. Can we get away with not covering some
of the basics
in our documentation now that computers are in almost every
home? Just a
few years ago, I would have said no, but now it seems like
everyone knows
something about them.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=