Monitors and radiation?

Subject: Monitors and radiation?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:25:01 -0400

Svi Ben-Elya wondered <<Does anyone know of PC
monitors that are relatively resilient to magnetic fields caused
by high tension wires nearby.>>

I assume it's because you're getting a distorted image on your
monitor? We had a similar problem in our computer lab a few
years back with any computer within about 15 feet of a main
power line through the building.

Sometimes all that you need to do is rotate the monitor ca. 90
degrees, and that will fix the problem; if not, try a few
different angles and see if one of them won't work for you. I
imagine that most office supply companies still sell those
monitor cages that were designed to prevent e-m radiation
from leaking out, so presumably they'd have a similar effect
on inbound radiation... though depending on how you feel
about the evidence on the health effects of e-m radiation, you
might want to consider buying one of those cages for yourself
if the problem is serious. (Then again, I tend to err on the side
of caution.) As a last gasp, you might want to scan the pages
of something like PC Magazine and look for manufacturers
of "ruggedized" or military-grade computers; they probably
produce the type of monitors you need.

Good luck.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."--Qui-Gon Jinn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=