Re: Do users actually read READ.ME files?

Subject: Re: Do users actually read READ.ME files?
From: Sybille Sterk <sybille -at- BOFFIN -dot- BEYOND2000 -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:11:26 +0100

Do any of us read the READ.ME files of a new program when or even before we
install it? I usually only do, if I am unsure about the installation or if
the installation doesn't work.

That's one of the things we've decided at some point, READ.ME files only
contain information that's up-to-the-minute (i.e. not included in the
documentation, because it was too late to implement it) and info that's
important for the installation of the program. Information about new
features and updates on request are included in both manual and help by
using a nice little bitmap (a little flag with NEW written on it) and by
writing an introduction which includes a special paragraph about the new
features.

Sonja Waller wrote:
>I remember when I worked for my previous company, I wondered if ANYONE
read our documentation.

Who doesn't wonder about that from time to time, especially when the
programmers explain to you that the documentation is completely unnecessary
because the program is so easy to use and brilliant, and your manager
breathes down your neck and tells you off because you apparently spend too
much time on those silly manuals and help files... ;-)
but WE know they read it and they LOVE it and they would be completely LOST
without it, because the programs are far too complex nowadays.... and
anyway, the documentation is so pretty who could but read it? ;-)

Sybille :-)

Sybille Sterk
Technical Author and Translator (German)
email: sybille -at- boffin -dot- beyond2000 -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=