Re: Repost - Search engine for local HTML files

Subject: Re: Repost - Search engine for local HTML files
From: Tom Campbell <klook -at- EUDORAMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:29:33 -0400

Michael,
In your 6/22 post you said you needed a search engine to help users sift through about 600 intranet files. Here are some possible solutions I found in a recent "search search" of my own:

Simple Search from Matt's Script Archive - http://worldwidemart.com/scripts/search.shtml
Exceedingly easy and simple Perl/CGI search function. Of course, you get what you pay for, so it's not very robust. On our small intranet site this is sufficient, but for you maybe not. One good thing is that you don't need to maintain a handcrafted database to make this work. One bad thing is that the search results are listed in no particular order.

Using ISINDEX for Server-Side Searches - http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/NewHTML/server-isindex.html
ISINDEX has been deprecated in the latest HTML specification, so this is probably pretty moldy. But maybe reading it would be instructive.

Kathleen's Little Page of JavaScript Resources - http://www.webniche.com/jscript.html
Lists several JS search solutions, not all of which I tried.

Cut-N-Paste JavaScript search script - http://www.infohiway.com/javascript/indexf.htm?searchscripts
The good thing about this is that it doesn't require access to the web server, since it's all JavaScript. The bad thing is that you'll have to maintain a database of all the pages in your site that you want indexed.

Site Search - http://www.high.demon.nl/js/SiteSearch_src.html
This JavaScript solution looked pretty good until I sweated over it and got it ready, only to find that it didn't work on MSIE 4.72.3110.8 (I'm not making that number up). ARRGGGGHH! Maybe it works with IE 5, I don't know. But in any event, I can't use it because I can't limit my users' choice of browsers.

Excite for Web Servers - http://www.excite.com/navigate/
Note that a security bug has been found in EWS, so proceed with caution.

I hope this helps. I'd be interested to know any other site search recommendations TECHWR-Lers have, and also what you end up doing.

---
Tom Campbell
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
--Mark Twain

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=