Re: Graduate Degree Progams/Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Graduate Degree Progams/Telecommuting
From: Christine Pellar-Kosbar <chrispk -at- MERIT -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:00:39 -0400

Elizabeth,

I want to agree with Tina Cipolla and add my two cents.

I freelanced for two years after my daughter was born. My old employer became
my main client. (I happened to move 600 miles from my job right before I gave
birth, so going back was out of the question.) I agree you should get into the
field first, then look for telecommuting opportunities. After you have some
time in the field, consider freelancing if your employer still doesn't want to
let you telecommute. You might find you have the personality for freelancing
(introvert), and the market might be great. If you don't need health benefits,
freelancing can a good way to make a decent salary. (Remember to charge enough
to cover new equipment, taxes, paper, phone bills, etc.) You will still need
to arrange childcare (or switch off with your spouse), but the time flexibility
is really great.

Christine Pellar-Kosbar
Technical Writer
Merit Network, Inc.