Re: The Scope of Tech Writing

Subject: Re: The Scope of Tech Writing
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 12:30:14 -0400

My understanding is that "technical writing" means writing about
technical topics (whether you are using old fashioned print or new
hypertext/interactive formats) to provide instruction.

I would not consider your hypertext on Emily Dickinson to be
technical writing. Your analysis of hypertext systems is borderline -
it is certainly about a technical topic, but I get the feeling you
weren't instructing on how to create an effective hypertext system. I
don't know about your math hypertext... it depends on the material
you are covering.

In other words, I consider the content, not the format to dictate
whether you are doing technical writing. If you use a fountain pen
and vellum to write step-by-step instructions on how to create a
web page, that would be technical writing. If you create a web page
on the beauty of fountain pens and vellum, that would not be
technical writing.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing Systems
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=