Re: Basic Tech Writing Rule Book

Subject: Re: Basic Tech Writing Rule Book
From: Jane Bergen <jbergen1 -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:48:22 -0500

Most any tech writing course textbook has this. Check with your local
campus bookstore or second hand bookstore for a used one. We're
blessed in Dallas, Texas, USA, with a store called Half-Price Books
that carries them quite regularly. I think they have stores across
the US. I can't tell where you are writing from, so if you are not in
the U.S., I apologize. As for strictly GOOD writing, I can't recommend
more highly that you look at Joseph M. Williams book, "Style: Ten
lessons in Clarity & Grace." I have the third edition in this little
book, also. Actually I prefer it over the later versions, but they're
all excellent.

St. Martin's press carries at least two of them. Look for authors like
Paul Anderson or Michael Markel, also Houp & Pearsall have a good one.
I have an old "Handbook of Technical Writing" -- it's the third
edition, so I'm sure there is a later one. It's also St. Martin's and
the authors are Brusaw, Alred, and Oliu.

Hope that helps.

Jane Bergen