Brief Tech Writers Survey

Subject: Brief Tech Writers Survey
From: Cameron Austin <caustin -at- CDGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:32:52 -0400

Hello everyone,

I am about to graduate with an MS in Instructional Technology. We have been
discussing how the job duties for various training and documentation
professionals is changing. There seems to be a trend moving from
"specialization" towards "wearing multiple hats." I thought it would be
interesting to get some data on this from professionals currently working in
the field.

I would really appreciate some feedback from any who are willing to complete
all or part of the following brief survey. I would like to share your
technical writing. Feel free to reply to me directly, and I will post
general results of the responses. Thank you. Cameron

1) Are you performing the job tasks you thought you would be performing when
you were in school?
___Yes
___No

2) Have your job duties changed?
___Yes
___No (If No, skip to question #9)

3) In what way?
___Much more specialized
___A little more specialized
___A little more general
___Much more general

4) Does this change present concerns?
___Yes
Comments:
___No

5) Have these changes presented new or different opportunities?
___More opportunities ___Fewer opportunities

6) Have these changes affected your marketability?
(1=much less marketable, 3=about the same, 5=much more
marketable)

7) Have these changes affected your compensation?
(1=negative effect, 3=no effect, 5=positive effect)

8) What tips or resources have you found valuable and effective in dealing
with these changes?
Please list/comment:

9) Please feel free to add any additional comments.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=