Re: At what point does software become an application?

Subject: Re: At what point does software become an application?
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:06:42 -0500

Melonie:

While the copyright laws don't specifically say "don't use as a noun," I
think it's probably a good idea to follow legal's suggestions. Companies can
loose their own trademarks if they aren't used as specifically spelled out
and stated in the TM application. For example, "aspirin," "linoleum," and
"cellophane" were once registered trademarks, but through improper
application and use, they ceased to qualify for legal protection and became
part of the public domain. A once-powerful competitive advantage that could
have been measured in the millions of dollars simply disappeared forever for
those companies.

In my opinion, there's a legal and grammatical case for using trademarked
terms as adjectives.

Donn Le Vie
Director, Information Development
Integrated Concepts, Inc.